New Students > Transfer to Bergen

Transfer to Bergen Community College

Transfer Evaluation of Credit from Other Post-Secondary Institutions

Transfer students are students who have earned academic credit from previous colleges/universities and are transferring their credit to Bergen Community College for the purpose of completing a degree.


  1. Apply to Bergen Community College and choose a major. Credits will NOT be evaluated without a major selected.
  2. Submit your Official College Transcript.* Have transcript sent directly from previous college(s) to:
    Bergen Community College
    Office of Admissions and Recruitment
    400 Paramus Rd, Room A-123
    Paramus, NJ 07652
  3. When Bergen Community College receives your Transcript(s), a receipt communication will be sent to your Portal student email account.
  4. Your transcript(s) will be evaluated and the results posted your WebAdvisor Program Evaluation. Within 2 to 4 weeks, you can view the results on WebAdvisor.

Important Notes:

  • Unofficial transcripts will not be evaluated
  • Foreign academic credentials: please refer to "International Evaluations" information below
  • If the transcript reflects a former or maiden name, please notify us at
    For details, please refer to transfer policy, requirements, and information

Transfer Policy

Bergen Community College will accept credits for courses taken at regionally accredited colleges and universities (and from properly accredited programs) provided that the course is compatible with the curriculum of Bergen Community College, as approved by the faculty, and the course is applicable to the requested program of study. Bergen Community College also accepts transfer credits based on statewide agreements and will consider awarding credits based on established articulation agreements. Only courses that have received a grade of “C” (or the equivalent) or better are accepted for transfer. Transfer credits are not included in computing the grade point average and are recorded as “TR” grades.

It is the student's responsibility to provide, in a timely manner, all the transcripts and documents needed to evaluate any previous educational experience.

No more than 45 transferred credits will be applied toward earning an associate degree and no more than 18 transferred credits will be applied toward earning an academic certificate. These credits may be earned from a prior Bergen Community College degree/certificate, transfer credits from other institutions, and proficiency and/or CLEP examinations. The list of approved subject examinations for CLEP credits may be obtained at the Office of Testing Services. The balance of credits required for any degree or certificate must be earned through actual course enrollment at Bergen Community College.

Transfer Requirements

  1. Submit an application online and specify the degree you intend to pursue. Applications can also be obtained from the Admissions Office, 400 Paramus Road, Paramus, NJ 07652. Please indicate the degree in the space marked curriculum code. You must apply to a degree or certificate program in order for your official transcript to be reviewed, evaluated and credits transferred. Applications can be transmitted via the web, mailed, faxed or delivered in person.
  2. If you are unsure of which degree to apply for, the Professional Studies General program, AS.PS.GEN, is suggested. If you subsequently decide to change your curriculum, a change of curriculum form can be obtained from Counseling, Room A-118.
  3. Please note that A.A. and A.S. degrees are transfer degrees. An A.A.S. degree and Certificate programs prepare students for a career. Some A.A.S. degrees have articulation agreements to four-year post-secondary institutions in place.
  4. Submit an official high school transcript and an official college/university transcript from every college/university attended to the Admissions Office, 400 Paramus Road, Paramus, NJ 07652. Only official transcripts are accepted for transfer of credit. Transcripts may also be delivered in person as long as they are in an envelope stamped and sealed by the registrar’s office of the sending institution. Transcripts from other institutions will not be released to the students or to a third party.
  5. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable to waive the English/mathematics basic skill test requirements. Waivers are determined by the Testing Office. (For more detailed information regarding Testing, please refer to the Testing website ).
  6. For students wishing to register for 12 or more credits while at Bergen Community College,students must be placed or waived from the Basic Skills Test prior to registration.
  7. A transfer equivalency report will not be mailed to you. To check the status of your transcript equivalency status online, you have to open an online student account, also known as " WebAdvisor account" by logging on: > Account Information > I am new to WebAdvisor, then follow instructions accordingly.
  8. To access your record via your WebAdvisor Account, go to>Log In>Web Advisor for Students>Academic Profile>Program Evaluation. For questions or appeals, students can contact the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.
  9. It is strongly suggested that students bring their program evaluation to Academic Advising, Room A-118 in order to facilitate the process of advisement and registration.

Contact Information

Office of Recruitment and Admissions

Tel: (201) 493-3774

Pitkin Education Center (main building)
Office of Admission Records - Room A-123
400 Paramus Road
Paramus, NJ 07652

Transfer Information

Military Service

Since Bergen Community College is a SOC institution, credit is awarded for basic or recruit training by submitting your official separation paper (Form DD214). An honorable discharge entitles you to 2 credits for health education, WEX 101, and 1 credit for physical activity, WEX 202.

International Evaluations

Students who attended institutions of higher learning in other countries must have their transcript translated and evaluated course by course by an agency associated with National Association of Credential Evaluation Services. Contact information for some of these agencies is as follows:

College Level Examination Program and Advanced Placement

A list of approved subject examinations for CLEP credit and AP credit can be found be found on page 23 and 24 of the Academics Catalog. Scores must be received directly from the College Entrance Examination Board.

New York University Foreign Language Proficiency Test

The test evaluates a student’s knowledge and assigns points. Students should take the 16-point exam, and can be awarded 3 credits in humanities. Students who wish to test in Spanish, German, or French should take the CLEP exam.

American Council on Education

Credits recommended by the American Council on Education for non-traditional education will be taken into consideration for the transfer of credit.

To request this information in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Admissions & Recruitment at or 201-447-7200