Dr. R. Forsstrom
Secretary: Sandra Haan
The mission of the Mathematics Discipline is to promote excellence in the teaching and learning of mathematics by:
- Offering a broad selection of courses that are designed to meet diverse student needs.
- Providing students with an awareness of the connections of mathematics to other subjects and to strengthen each student’s ability to apply mathematics to these subjects.
- Promoting critical thinking through course work that emphasizes problem solving and applications.
- Introducing students to the effective uses of technology in mathematical problem solving.
- Promoting scholarly activity among all of the mathematics faculty and students majoring in mathematics.
- Encouraging and supporting faculty collaboration with colleagues from other disciplines to modify and develop mathematics courses that support other programs of study.
The Mathematics Discipline serves a diverse population that includes students:
- Who are majoring in mathematics in order to pursue a career in education or in the private sector.
- From other majors who need to acquire mathematical skills in order to be successful in their major.
- Who, as part of their general education, need to acquire the ability to think critically, reason logically, communicate mathematical information, and do problem solving in a systematic manner in order to become more productive citizens.
Bergen Community College - Mathematics Department
Pitkin Education Center (Main Building) Room A-325