- Proficiency tests are offered as a means of placement for a variety of college-level courses. Successful scores on proficiency tests allow students to register for a higher level course within the same discipline sequence. However, a successful proficiency test carries no course credit. A proficiency test earns a waiver of the course upon passing. Proficiency test registration forms can be obtained from the Office of Testing Services, Room S-127 in person. Please bring your BCC photo ID with you.
- There is a $30 non-refundable fee for each proficiency test payable prior to the test date.
- Proficiency tests are offered in the following subjects: Intermediate Algebra (MAT160), Pre-Calculus (MAT180) and Chemistry (CHM100).
- If you already have a grade of N, Inc, M, W, E, R, F, or Q (audit), you may NOT take a test for that course.
- You must meet all prerequisites for any course for which you wish to take a proficiency test.
- Students may NOT repeat a proficiency test for any one course.
- Since a student can attempt a proficiency test only one time, students are strongly encouraged to study for proficiency tests. Textbooks are available to use in the BCC library.
- Students are not permitted to use a calculator for the mathematics proficiency tests.
- Students are allowed 60 minutes (1 hour)for the MAT-160 and 120 minutes (2 hours) for the MAT-180 proficiency tests,
- Students taking the CHM-100 proficiency tests are allowed 2 hours and the use of a non-graphing, non-programmable calculator.
- Please bring the application, a picture I.D., and #2 pencils on the day of the test.
PROFICIENCY TESTS ARE DONE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Please visit the Office of Testing Services, Room S-127 after you have studied and are ready to set an appointment.