Academics > Academic Divisions & Departments > Education > FAQs


How do I know what courses to take?

First, students should consult the college catalog to get an overview of the program. Please keep in mind that what is listed in the catalog is intended to provide a general overview of the program. Specific transfer institutions should be considered when selecting certain courses.

Is student-teaching or work outside of Bergen required?

A traditional student-teaching assignment will be completed by students at the senior college level. EDU-461 Co-Op Work Experience (Education) requires 45 hours of observation in an educational setting of choice. Students pursuing the AAS degree in Early Childhood are required to complete a field experience.

How important is Grade Point Average (GPA) for transfer into a teacher education program?

Generally speaking, GPA is very important for an education major. Although transfer institutions have different requirements for entry, The State of New Jersey requires a minimum GPA of 2.75 for certification. In addition, four-year colleges require a minimum GPA of 2.75 to be eligible for student teaching.